Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Intimacy

So I was looking through my weekly love, postsecret, and I came across this. Really got me thinking. There's something about some of the things people write up there that just get to me. I also like the EMTs one (first if you go to the initial page btw).


This got me thinking. I had a conversation with a friend (not a friend who I've referenced before actually), about intimacy, and how often there is almost a willingness to reveal secrets and have soul-revealing talks with people who we barely know.
It's safer that way.
I suppose this links into 'alone', but I'm taking the tangent further.
Let's look at my good friend the dictionary. It tells us that intimacy is: a feeling or atmosphere of closeness and openness towards someone else. Although the dictionary (ok it was google) also says that it is the fourth studio album by American pop singer Jody Watley, released in 1993...


Intimacy are those moments when you open yourself up to another person, when you share something, and it leaves you vulnerable. Sex, to me, doesn't come into this particular equation. Intimacy is when you can cry in front of someone (something I very rarely do), or let them see you weak, and still be ok with that. That's what it is to me, at least.


Thinking about the most intimate experience I have had in the recent past, it was when I was staying over at my friend's house, and we were lying in bed (we had been drinking). She possibly won't remember this, but we had a very deep, and very meaningful conversation. And I still remember that sensation of lying in the dark talking.
Before that the one that springs to mind, is when I went over to a friend's house, and I was sobbing, and there were just hugs (and maltesers), nothing else. And that was, frankly, all I needed.




And forgive me for a moment for sounding a touch mushy, but I think a truly intimate moment is when all the layers go, when you catch a glimpse of someone else's soul.




That's all from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment