Sunday, September 26, 2010

Forgiveness

So I'm back. Yay. I know life without my posts was dull and dreary (at least for a certain person who cheerfully informed me I was now aiding them procrastinate from study). Away time was lovely, I indeed did a lot of work (finally something productive study-wise), and i went bushwalking. I briefly contemplated dedicating a blog to how during one of my walks I attempted to channel my inner aboriginal to do a little climbing over a stream, but really that's as much as I need to say. It was a successful channeling in case you were wondering.


I thought a lot about what my next blog should be about (I had lots of thinking time), but events seemed to have unfolded for themselves. 


As those of you clever enough to deduce from my rather cryptic title, forgiveness has been preying on my mind of late. Personally there have been a couple of events which have led me to become estranged with friends. One in particular whom I am thinking of right now. I shan't go into the details, but let me say that communication basically broke down, and a divide between us grew, and we went from being quite close friends to people who simply did not speak to each other any more. I had said to myself 'I suppose this is the way it's going to be', I could see no way for the friendship to be rebuilt, and then, out of the blue, I got a call from this person. They explained to me what had been happening with them and told me how much the loss of my friendship had upset them. Things which had been done which upset me were brought to the surface, where previously they had been swept under the rug and festered, further destroying the friendship, and apologies were offered. Of course, that was all I really needed. It was such an incredible gesture on her part, to call me after so much had happened, and to try to fix this. 

Similarly, today, I received an apology of sorts for something that was done to me  a few days ago, an event in fact, mentioned in my first post (Facebook statuses, indirect accusations, to jog your memory). Now this person I do not have as long a history with, so such mending of bridges is not as easy. 



In both of these scenarios I had the choice to forgive. The option was there to tell them where they could stick it, although depending on my level of ire, with several verbally colourful additions. I was seriously considering it with the second apology, however I was talking to my friend, someone who I hold in the highest esteem, and he said a wonderful thing to me. "Princess [this is his pet name for me]. Remember Audrey Hepburn. Be gracious."
Wasn't it somebody terribly famous who said once, and is forever quoted for it, 'to err is human, to forgive, divine'? 


I suppose the point that I am trying to make is that there is nothing ever really gained from witholding your forgiveness. It doesn't necessarily mean the same level of trust or intimacy has to be reached as previously, but, aside from everything else, doesn't that make you the better human being? I know several people who are not speaking to others because of transgressions or conflicts. While I understand that sometimes there are things that mean a friendship cannot be rebuilt, I would suggest that leaving something like that on such hugely negative grounds can affect you as a person. It is there, always lingering in the back of your mind. I could be wrong, it is possibly just me. But I do think it is something to think about. 


This is the lesson for today. Go in peace. 





1 comment:

  1. Hello there,
    I'm just an interested member of the public who happened to stumble across this post. And what a post it was! Though I must point out, that withholding forgiveness works in the short term, for example if one guilts the other into buying them a 650 g block of crunchie flavoured chocolate. On the other hand, this may come back to haunt them when they are hit over the head with this same block.
    Thus, in the long term forgiveness is a worthwhile escapade.
    Tally ho,
    Mr. Michael Borgon

    ReplyDelete