Sunday, January 16, 2011

I am not motivated enough to come up with a title

I wonder if conversations can change your life? 
Not a particularly definitive way to start a blog entry, but I'm feeling reflective today. I was all set to post about my antics in a shoe store where the poor salesman didn't quite grasp that I don't run...ever (although I may have misrepresented myself by being in the store to begin with), then some assorted conversations that I have had over the past few days preyed on my mind to the point where they have formed a coherent idea for a post. 


What is within a conversation? I guess on its most superficial level, a conversation is the exchange of words between two or more people, revolving around an idea, or ideas. It is communication. 
Is there anything beneath my definition? I honestly don't know. But I know that one conversation I have had in recent days in particular, is sticking in my mind. 
I was sitting by the river, eating chips (and being eaten by mosquitoes) at night, looking across the city and the city lights (contemplating in some part of my mind how damn beautiful I actually find the city), and talking to somebody whom I consider to be one of the most wonderful people I have ever met. In fact, I sent that person a text after I got home that night telling them that through knowing them (and through my conversations with them) I think I am a better person, because of the way in which she challenges me through our conversations. 
The large majority of our conversations turn into debates, where (invariably) I will make a claim, and she will proceed to tear it apart. I said as much to her, and she suggested a system were if I make a claim not properly considered she can simply say 'invalid claim, please try again', but I wouldn't take her up on that unless I were mentally drained beyond the point of coherency, because I enjoy it too much. Anyway, I'll stop going into this one specific case, as she reads my blog, and I don't want to embarrass her, but I think I should simply say when she moves away, words (heh geddit, conversations, words?) simply will never be sufficient to describe how very terribly I will miss her, and our conversations. 


To jump to another example, a conversation I had with somebody on Friday night. It was perhaps not as self-challenging as my previous example, however it certainly made me think. 
First of all, it nearly destroyed my love of Frasier, a show which practically defined my childhood (screw Playschool). Then, it got me thinking about the female stereotype in relation to sex. More specifically, why there are male roles such as Hank Moody in Californication, and they are accepted as just generally having a hyperactive sex drive, whereas a female in a similar sexually promiscuous role would be assumed to have 'baggage', causing her hypersexuality. Anyway, this particular conversation also got me thinking (and got me interested). I like conversations that get me thinking (and laughing, but they rarely overlap). 

And finally, to finish this thought, I find it rather depressing when I have one good conversation with a person, and then I don't again, for whatever reason. That's just teasing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment