Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Apathy

This week, with the return to school has seen me at the height of my apathy towards well...the world in general really.
Today as I sat numbly in English, wondering if there really was a point to the dissection of Friel and Shaffer's plays, it hit me that while we may say passion, love or anger (to name but a few examples) were the sentiments that were the most effective in terms of things that are done as a result of them, apathy is more powerful than any of them (to my mind at least). Not because of what it achieves, but really, because of what it doesn't achieve.




Being apathetic means that you don't care. More than that, it mean's that you can't be bothered. Or at the very least, that is what I believe it to mean.
While things are achieved, or done, because of rage, or anger, even joy, things are not done because of apathy. Things aren't spoken out about enough, or at all because of apathy, ideas are left unvoiced because 'I cbf', or even to relate it back to my week so far, study is not done, because not doing anything is so much easier.


I'll probably have people on my back, telling me that I've mis-defined apathy. But this is how I interpret it to be inaction because action itself is simply too hard, and not enough energy can truly be mustered to complete an action, because ultimately it is not judged to be overall beneficial enough to be worth doing.


Often used to describe my generation is 'apathetic', because let's face it, we're comfortable where we are, we don't really feel the need to do that much extra. I have a friend who supports very much youth action and youth involvement, and I think (although I could be wrong) one of the reasons why, aside from the fact that yes, this is her generation, is because she recognises the growing apathetic nature amongst us.


Apathy is powerful also because it is sneaky. We don't necessarily realise it is there, because it has no direct results. And yes, while it often goes hand in hand with sentiments such as complacency and perhaps even depression, it is still there, and I think we do not recognise it enough.


Anyway, I'm too apathetic (see?) to check over this or end it properly, and dinner is being served, and it's tantalising aroma is distracting me far too much.
Just thought I'd give you some food for thought. 




Be good and eat your veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment