Saturday, October 23, 2010

My most meaningful relationship

Some days I think the only truly meaningful relationship I will ever have is with my cat (and possibly Canard - and this isn't a codename either because I actually call her this, because I'm talking to her right now). 

                               *Actually I'm going to insert a disclaimer right here, because I'm talking to Canard, who is a rather wonderful person, who makes me say some rather hilarious, but strange things.*


Seriously though. My cat is a constant in my life, warm (that's very important for me as I get cold easily), lovable, and she (I actually have two cats but for the purpose of this post they are one) sleeps with me nineteen nights out of twenty (also important because I am not a fan of sleeping alone). 


When I am sad, invariably, the only person who I will allow anywhere remotely near me is most of the time, my cat - possibly because they can't talk and tell me how to feel better, all I have to do is cuddle her, which is quite soothing. 


Ok, I realise this may sound a little unusual, but think about this - there is a silent understanding between my pet and I that means that she (or he) is a silent companion who is quite simply always there for me. How many relationships do you know that have this kind of bond and understanding? I watched 'The Last Station' last night, and found myself drawn to the relationship between Tolstoy and his wife - despite all of the obstacles which made them fight so furiously, they had such an amazing connection, and relationship, and an understanding, despite the social and political problems which frequently drove them apart. Now that is a relationship I envy...without the bit where he goes off as he's dying and it's only just before he dies that she ends up with him again (sorry if you were planning to watch it and I just gave you spoilers, watch it still coz that's only one part of the story).


So to make this blog slightly less pet-focused, broadening this idea, what do you look for in a companion dearest reader? 
For me, evidently, it is someone who bears remarkably similar traits to a cat. 



I know this is a short blog post, but Canard is distracting me far too much, and I can only think of things to write that connect to cats. 



UPDATE. I was reading through a friend's blog (Canard's actually), and she provided this link, which I will now link here. 
Just proves that there is someone out there for everyone <3

3 comments:

  1. For all those who were wondering, I am the prolific "Canard."

    ReplyDelete
  2. alice, with the italic writing it makes your blog about your cat seem so much more serious than you probably intend it to be. i can't help but hear the piano music in the background and picture you sitting there, staring sadly into the distance as you muse.
    and now that i think about it, you just called your blog "my most meaningful relationship" and started talking ABOUT YOUR CAT. i cant work out whether to just laugh or be offended on behalf of the various individuals who have spent years CREATING you. well of course, minus "canard".
    .....?
    (those dots represent the expression of bewilderment that now lines my face as i contemplate how someone could earn such a name. something to do with a duck?)
    i think i'll just go with chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there,
    Firstly, I apologize for the rude way in which I suddenly disappeared, as I've been touring around Asia for the last month. As I just got back (and am in a state of jet-lag), I thought I might catch-up on these blogs. And what blogs they were! I particularly enjoyed, 'Faith', though I was wondering if you won this 'grand-final'?
    Anyway, I too have a pet, closer than anybody I know (including my (now) ex-wife). He is a dog whom I take out on walks every day in order to make up for the immense number of problems I burden him with! I have the feeling that if Sir Greg could speak, he would be wiser than any person or earth. I'm not sure if you get that feeling with your cat....
    Just trolling through the comments, while I disagree with 'Jessica's' dismissal of cats as the most meaningful relationship, I have to say that she makes a humorous remark about 'canard'. I too, am thoroughly confused.
    Anyway, I think I shall 'chuckle' as well.
    Tally ho!
    Mr Michael Borgon

    ReplyDelete