Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Faith

So many things to blog about. 
Grand final debate tomorrow (die opposition, die) for which I am about as nervous as a virginal bride, not that there are too many of those around nowdays, study study study (or procrastination thereof), and of course sex, that old chestnut. 

Actually I could pretty much dedicate a blog to the wonders of cake should I so choose, but I decided not to, on the fact that by the end, I'd just want moar cake, which would just end in me sobbing about my waistline. 

But let's think on faith. The reason I bring this up is because of  the advised topic that is "Islam" for tomorrow's debate, which of course got me thinking about our different faiths and diversities. 
Religion is one of the baser divisions within our societies, within our lives. Perhaps one of the governing forces in the way our lives are constructed (to me the ultimate governing force is sex, but that's another post entirely). 
From the earliest we have records, there has been some form of faith that is interwoven with our lives - a belief in a higher power. 

I label myself as an atheist, but the truth is I'm not quite sure. Atheism is the belief in nothing other than now - which opens the door to a hedonistic mindset - and I don't necessarily believe in absolutely nothing else, just not in anything definite. I also reject the ideas that somebody else is going to use a prescribed set of rules to tell me how to live my life, far better to develop my own ideas and moral code and live by that, because that at least means I've thought about it. 

But there is something beautiful in the faithful. Not that I would ever want to be one of them, but the ability to believe, the trust that is within that, I occasionally find myself envying. It's so...absolute. 
I think, for many reasons, this is why I find the religion of Islam attractive. The emphasis placed upon education, and the pursuit of knowledge is high, and the idea that the koran itself is so beautiful as to be the miracle of Islam, are things that I find not only intriguing, but also quite lovely. 
While I would never choose to veil myself (although I highly respect those women who choose to do so), I think there is something to be said for the Islamic approach to the body. Think of the bombardment that is within our culture - of stick-thin women with perfect skin. I was looking at a magazine, and the article that jumped out at me said '8 ways to love the bits you hate' - implying that there is something wrong with your body, but you can overcome it with persistence. 

I enjoy learning about religion, it is a fascinating thing, and I respect people for their beliefs. There is something to be learned from every religion, so long as it is not simply followed, which I believe many people simply do, rather than looking at a teaching, deconstructing it, examining it and thinking 'yes, yes I believe that, and agree with this, I will incorporate this into my lifestyle.' 

Anyway, I must end this post now, as there is a time limit to work to (oh the things I do for those I love). 


But I shall leave you all with this thought. 
What do I have faith in? My loved ones of course. 




Thus ends the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment