Friday, October 1, 2010

Assumptions

This is sort of part 2 to expectations, so I completely understand if you, dear reader, choose to skip this entirely. 


I think we make too many assumptions. 


We assume if we act a certain way, or do certain things, then this will elicit a particular outcome. The assumption is (when stripped bare) that 2 + 2 = 4.
Tonight, I'm going to only deal with the way in which we assume about people. Basically, because of an assumption that was made about me recently, and it got me thinking (and writing). 


We assume that if we dress a certain way, then we will belong to a particular label. Or, to put it another way, we assume that because someone is dressed a certain way, they act a certain way. I said a similar thing last night, when I spoke about the expectations we place on people. If someone dresses in all black with chains, we assume they would fit into the 'goth' or 'emo' stereotype, and then expect them to behave a certain way, or within certain parameters. Similarly, if someone is dressed in skinnyleg jeans, with a t-shirt under a checkered shirt, they fall under the broad range of 'indie' (although I would argue that they are mainstream indie, and therefore equal to scum as they destroy the entire concept of indie. butmovingon). 
Do you see what I'm getting at here? 
We label people, and make assumptions about them. I think this is a trait we, as humans, have. We like to place labels on people, to mentally place parameters around what we believe they will and will not do, what they do, and do not like, so then we have them 'figured'. 


Tonight, someone said to me, after weeks of being covertly aggressive towards me, and blaming me for things that I did (and while I make no apologies for my actions I do feel I should set out that I explained why I was doing this the way I was doing, and they said that it was understood), they were ready to get back to being friends with me again. 
God, typing that makes me feel like I'm back in primary school again. 
But, the ludicrous nature of this aside, the assumption was made that I was ready to 'go back to being friends'. I think, my post on forgiveness also sort of comes in here, but pushing that aside from one moment, this really has made me wonder about my own assumptions about the people around me. 
For example, someone (who I do not know, which made it all the more flattering) posted a comment on my second and third blog, complimenting and commenting on the content. I assumed that he still would read my blog - yet I could be wrong (if I did assume correctly, I don't think I ever thanked you for your comments, so thank you, they were much appreciated). 
Similarly, I assume that if I cut my hair a certain way, people will react a certain way. Yes, I did get a hair cut this morning, which I why I used this particular example - it is quite short. 
I basically make the assumption that people think I either have something to prove or (well I'm going to be brutally honest here, and say it), that I am a raging lesbian. However, I could be wrong. Maybe people look at me, and think 'hey, that looks like a really convenient haircut, which flatters her pretty neck' (NB I dont actually think my neck is that special, but this hypothetical person/people is particularly complimentary - I was just encouraged to be a little narcissistic). Just to clear it up though, the reason I cut my hair is a combination of reasons, I mentioned a couple before, but ultimately it's because I like it (shocking I know!).


Oh, and it just occurred to me, I think the biggest assumption that I make that I can use right here, is that I assume people read my blog! Ok, that's not quite true, because I have this little counter that shows me how many times my posts have been viewed, but I assume people read it....AND ENJOY IT! :O  (first and last emote on here, I promise). 


So the moral of the story is that assumptions are often wrong, so you shouldn't set them in stone.


Be good!

3 comments:

  1. I think this lost structure somewhere, you touch on a really interesting point about assumptions but then you don't really explore why we need to place certain parameters on people/things, which I was looking forward to :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote the great conductor Stephen G Carpenter: "When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I was so tempted to put that in, but I think it might have detracted from the overall credibility of this post.

    And yes, as I finished it, I sort of realised that there was a distinct lack of structure...I feel I should remedy this...

    ReplyDelete