Monday, February 14, 2011

Being an adult sucks

I was really excited to leave school, to be in the big wide world and seen by all as an adult. 
I was having a conversation with a friend who is still in school. This friend confessed to me that he did not want to leave school, because everything was provided for, there was no undue expectations. I disagreed with that, because I cherish my independence and freedom. However there is something getting in the way of me enjoying life as an adult. Everybody else messing things up.


As an adult, it means I have to pay for my own stuff. this isn't so much a problem because I have a job which, while it doesn't pay particularly well, gives me enough money. Budgeting, I find preversely, nearly masochistically enjoyable as I find a feeling of satisfaction, but the required interaction with the rest of the world to handle this money is quite impossible.

Today I tried to start up an account online in which to create a fund for my car's service, registration and insurance, of which I must pay a significant amount, now that I am an adult (and licensed, and in possession of a car...). There was a technical error, and I very basically wound up twice in the space of an hour on the phone to the delightful technical support people who were unable to resolve my problem. I found myself in a terrible mood, having recided countless of times, my name, date of birth, postal code, and the answer to my security question. And it got me nowhere. As I type, my account still does not work.


Going to University is an exciting new beginning, but when I was bitching to my friend that my application for a diploma of languages wasn't processed until well, today, when all other subject registrations were two weeks ago, he replied that as an adult, I'm meant to find all this sort of information out by myself. While I actually argue that the system of my university is actually archaic and in desperate need of an update, as there is technology available to make the administration more user-friendly (and I'll be brutal, better at spoonfeeding me the information I need), the basic fact is too bad, even if I am right. I'm but a measly student, and they are the all-powerful administration, and they lord all the power over me. I can all but hear the manic cackles of glee from them as they observe my pain and rage.

I'll stop this soon, as I have to (maturely) go and ask my mother if I should actually order pizza, as she said that she'd talk to me about it an hour ago, and I am sure to be yelled at if I was meant to order pizza (because I'm an adult now, and adults do these things!). 


Responsibility, the fact that now if I do something illegal, I will get thrown into big person jail, paying for everything, dealing with USELESS bureaucracy. It's all part of being an adult. 
Do you want to know the worst part though? 
I always think to myself 'this is what it must mean to be an adult', when I look at the world, and realise that it really does suck, there's no universal justice system that means good things will happen to good people, and the bad guy will always lose, that people hurt other people, and that your internet connection will always be just that little bit too slow. It's cruel really, all of those hollywood movies, showing the happy ending. 
The depressing French movies have the right idea. 






Don't be overwhelmed by my optimism.







No comments:

Post a Comment