Monday, February 7, 2011

There's a void in my life, which needs filling (that's what she said)

I don't know, I feel like I'm missing something lately. 
I've started work in a cafe. It primarily involves interacting with people, something which I have come to realise I am extremely good at, which is ironic, as interacting with people is something I almost cannot abide. I changed career preferences because of it. 
Today a whole group of mothers came in with their small children. It was like nails on a blackboard to me. The children set up camp in the middle of the walkway between tables, and interacting with high pitched noises that I assume were the normal register for highly excited younglings. The women themselves sort of ignored me every time I brought a plate of food or took a plate away. It was something that I found disturbing, as my personal philosophy has always been 'be nice to the waiter, it could be you'. 
That being said, I did enjoy having the (apparently) millionaire come in. I denied him toast. It was a good moment (I actually gave him toast in the end, but the story has less impact if I tell it that way). 
Humanity in general, I find fascinating, but draining. Perhaps work in this cafe is a preclude to anthropology. 


But I digress ever so slightly. I'm 18, have my license, have finished school, have a job (not a high paying one, in fact I'd probably be better off sitting at home in my undies in front of a moniter playing the stock market like the fiendish businesswoman that we all know I secretly am, AND I wouldn't have to put on pants), and yet I feel that I'm simply marking time. I feel like there's something important I have to do, and it's simply slipping away from me because I can't see it. I wish I knew what it was. The blind man who is 93 years old who comes into the cafe every day has it down pat. He was born blind, and even managed to work in the army. There's something pretty spectacular about that. 


If my life were a movie, I'd have an veritable army of supporting characters to dissect my life with. That being said I do have The Husband who is a damn good therapist. AND he's apparently going to buy me $100 worth of crunchies for getting over a certain number in my end of year results. What more could I ask for? 
Several things. An Audi, a Ferrari, a Jag (oh how I love Jags), Jeremy Clarkson, my own jet...you get the materialistic picture. 


I will end today on a quote. 'I asked God for a bike, but I know he doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness instead.' It is strangely philosophical, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment