Friday, February 25, 2011

Tolerance in batting for the other side

Something interesting happened to me the other day. Well, to be perfectly honest, it probably wasn't all that interesting to anybody other than me, but I have a blog, so I'm going to share it...ha. 

This past week was O-Week at Uni,  with clubs to be joined, and all sorts of organisations having picnics and such to put themselves forward for new students to become aware of them. One of these such picnics was the 'Queer Picnic'. Before I go any further (and before you, dear reader, make any hasty judgements on my stance here), I would like to state categorically that I am massively in favour of gay rights. I believe firmly in gay marriage, the right for gay parents to have children (whether it be through adoption or other means), and I think on the whole, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. 

I am also apologetically politically right-wing. I went to the Queer Picnic the other day, directly after joining the French Club (to support my subject), and as an impulse-join, the Liberal Club. When I sat down at the Picnic on the grass, I had in my hand, a rather heavy showbag (and some pins!!!), on the side of which, was emblazoned the liberal club's logo. Upon seeing this, a couple of people (who I hadn't even met) made a couple of comments, expressing disdain and disgust for my choice. I chose not to respond, as I was perhaps not in the best place to pick such a fight, but it most certainly got me thinking; for a group that is meant to understand very much, being branded with a stigma, and being hated on for their lifestyle, the response to my choice (and it was hardly like I was standing up there screaming 'LOOK AT WHAT I JUST JOINED EVERYBODY') was one that was surprisingly intolerant.

At this point, I am culling my urges to go on a political rant, citing in depth the fact that the party isn't actually anti-gay per se (and anybody who jumps up and down referencing Tony Abbott, evidently has missed the fact that while he has a set of beliefs, he actually subverts them in favour of advocating the party policy), they simply don't use gay-rights as a platform like other parties do, and various other examples to this end. But I am not, because I don't wish to shove my political beliefs in your face, dearest readers (maybe at another point). The main point which I am trying to make is that for people who are part of a group that is not shown a lot of tolerance across the board, one would think that they in turn would extend tolerance towards me. I was after all, at their picnic, obviously someone who supported them. The oppositions are obviously the Christian Union(s).

Having said this, I am sure there were people at the Queer Picnic, who were actually gay, and supported the liberal party, it is also that, as mother said when I relayed the story to her in frustration, 'it's very fashionable to be left at University'. I laughed.
Anyway, I hope this makes some sort of sense, and I do apologise for any spelling errors – I'm typing on a tiny keyboard as my IT man (aka Dad), has taken away my computer for some TLC and a bit of a system fix up, as I treat my computer shockingly.

Keep calm and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment